DR GHIM-ENG YAP
Head, Specialist Analytics & Visualisation (SAV) Office, Monetary Authority of Singapore
• Dr. Ghim-Eng leads the Specialist Analytics & Visualisation (SAV) Office in MAS. His Team’s Mission is to transform MAS into The Central Bank of the Future, supporting Singapore’s financial growth in the digital economy.
• SAV works with the Central Banking, Development, FinTech, Cyber Security and Corporate functions in MAS to jointly develop analytics solutions that enhance the departments’ work processes. It also promotes and provides advice on the use of visualisation across MAS to derive insights from data for decision-making.
• As part of the organisation’s digital transformation efforts, the SAV Office works closely with MAS Academy to empower staff with data analytics capabilities and skills via organisation-wide training. It partners local & foreign public agencies to promote data analytics capabilities & foster innovations across the public service.
• Prior to MAS, Ghim-Eng helmed multiple initiatives in A*STAR, including Deputy Director of A*STAR first-ever DA Joint Lab (with giant telco Singtel), and Deputy Director of Strategic Planning Office in Institute for Infocomm Research, where he assisted his ED to envision the science & business roadmap for over 700 staff.
• In recognition of his technical & managerial excellence, Ghim-Eng took on additional duties as Deputy Director of A*STAR’s Smart Nation Programme, and Technical Director overseeing the Smart Nation Applied Lab, leading engagement of public agencies and delivering cutting-edge projects in areas including NLP, data analytics and cybersecurity.
• As a leading Data Scientist, Ghim-Eng won both the General Electric (GE) Flight Quest (2013) and the Fraud Detection in Mobile Advertising Contest (2012). He published widely on data analytics, machine learning & AI, & patented a method (USA) for privacy-preserving data collection, with applications in e.g. smart IoT & audience measurement (https://patents.justia.com/inventor/ghim-eng-yap).